Saturday, May 14, 2011

Riot

Yesterday was Friday the 13th
Go ahead and complain how unlucky this day could be
But I'm not going there
Instead I'll talk about something which is more significant in the history of Malaysia
Yesterday was significant not because it's Friday the 13th
It's significant because it's May 13th

13th May 1969
To be exact
The day our countrymen rioted


Elections had been held a few days prior to that day
And the results
Malays voted for the government
Chinese voted for the opposition
This was (alongside the most recent election) one of the elections
Where the opposition won a great amount of seats
Racial chaos came after that
I'm not going into the details here
Details about the event could easily be searched on the internet

Daddy told me his account of that day
He was only 11 years old then
Riot started in KL and news about it spread within hours to Klang
Where our family lived
As rumours that wooden houses were in danger of being burnt down by rioters spread
People went looking for hideouts
Grandpa took our family to a bungalow
Which has became a big hideout for lots of people on that day
People had to drill a hole in the fence of that bungalow to sneak in
But the owner understands the situation and allowed people to hide at his place
Women and children remain inside the bungalow
Grandma, father, and his 3 siblings were among them
Adult men guarded the place at the outside armed with defence weapons
Grandpa was among them
The location of the bungalow is somewhere near Kong Hoe primary school

Mummy and family also heard of the rumours of wooden houses being burnt
Her hideout place with grandpa, grandma, and 7 siblings
Was at the upstairs of the row of shops behind Kamdar opposite Chi Liung plaza

Nothing major happened that night in Klang though
However
In KL it was a different story altogether

When daddy and mummy told me about their experience that day
I kinda imagine what the state of panic was like at that time

Riot
What it's like?
I don't know

In another note
If Barcelona wins the Champions League I riot
But wait a minute...
If Man Utd wins I riot too
Argh
Why the final have to be contested by the two teams I hate most in the world?

2 comments:

  1. wow my mom never tell me of that, she only told me bout granpa tat time when japanese invade our country.....well, we already considered as lucky since our chinese are more than that of indonesia, what they can did on 513 just burning killing, wish it wont happen, ever =.=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. But I can't help but imagine what it's like, hiding in a place, with adults armed with weapons for defence.

    ReplyDelete