Friday, April 8, 2011

Petaling Street

Today I went to Petaling Street
And for the first time
I went to the McDonald's there
There are 2 McDonald's at Petaling Street
I went to the one opposite Popular Bookstore

Since it's my first time at Petaling Street's McDonald's
I know this would also be the first chance for me to enjoy the view of the olden part of KL
I purposely choose a table next to the window

The view was very different from the KL we always knew
The buildings are old
Streets narrow
Environment noisy
Even this McDonald's is not the typical McDonald's we are used to
I can feel no air-cond in it
Only the wall fans kept me from sweating
The pedestrians are basically walking next to the place I sit
Just a glass window that separates us
I see Malays Chinese Indians
And lots of foreign workers and tourists as well

After filling my stomach I walked down the Petaling Street
Which could easily be one of the oldest parts of KL still standing today
Lots of 'Nike's and 'LV's
As you know

Almost half of the street are being occupied by foreign workers these days
I automatically be more aware of my belongings once I stepped onto the street
This describes how complex the environment of Petaling Street is
But despite all that
I still find the nostalgic feeling coming to me
Especially when I see those food stalls along the long and narrow alley
Selling Wantan Mee, Pork Noodles, Loh See Fun etc
I can feel the 'olden days' feeling

This is Petaling Street
A street that signifies the history of Chinese settling down in this country

如今外劳占着大半个茨厂街
踏入该区我很自然地就提高警惕提防扒手
可看出来茨厂街如今的环境有多复杂
纵然如此
我还是感受到那股怀旧的感觉
看着那几条窄窄的小巷摆满了小摊子
卖云吞面,猪肉粉,老鼠粉
充满了‘古早味’

这是茨厂街
一条见证华人在这片土地扎根的街道

No comments:

Post a Comment