Sunday, December 26, 2010

Top Ten in Twenty-Ten

Christmas marks exactly one week to the end of the year
It's also the time where lots of top (fill in a number) lists emerges
I'm a music lover
So let me go straight to the point
This is the list of my top 10 favourite English songs of the year
Some of these might sound a 'long time ago' song for you
It's because that song came out early in the year
I've put efforts to ensure the songs in this list are really 2010 songs

10. One Day - Matisyahu
It's sad that this song never really made it into mainstream radio. This is also the reason why you might scratch your head or rub your eyes when you see this song in my top 10. The singer Matisyahu is a Jewish of Middle Eastern origin who lives in America but sings with a Jamaican accent. Complicated isn't it? The lyrics are meaningful and that's also a reason why I like this song. The chorus goes: 'All my life I've waiting for, I've been praying for, for the people to say, that we don't wanna fight no more, there'll be no more wars, and our children will play...' Actually I really kinda like songs about the community or the world, about situations like wars, poverty, and racism. Songs like these provoke our thoughts. If this singer sound too unknown or too 'un-mainstream' to interest you, there's a remix of this song that features Akon. Now this should sound more mainstream.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRmBChQjZPs (original version without Akon)


9. Hold My Hand - Michael Jackson and Akon
This song was recorded in 2007 and was supposed to be the first single of Akon's 'Freedom' album (the album that gave us songs like 'Right Now Na Na Na' and 'Beautiful'). Those songs seem long time ago doesn't it? That's how old this song is. But it didn't made it into that album at that time. And now, it became the first single for MJ's new album.



8. Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris
This year we saw the emergence of Taio Cruz. The beats of his songs are plain amazing. I always say that the DJ who produced the beats for his songs should be given credits. At least make it a Taio Cruz featuring 'the name of the DJ' song instead of just a Taio Cruz song.



7. Just a Dream - Nelly
Nelly has been around for a decade now but he still make amazing songs. He is one of only a few musicians who could both rap and sing well. Whenever I listen to this song I will move together with the rhythm.



6. DJ Got Us Falling in Love - Usher feat Pitbull
I was considering whether to put 'OMG' or this song on the list because I love both songs. This song fits it's title. It could be a song to be played by a DJ in a club. I enjoy the heavy and clear beats of this song.



5. Nothing On You - B.o.B. feat. Bruno Mars
The chorus of this song could well be one of the most memorable and most sang chorus of this year. If you listen to English songs, it's almost impossible that you never sang 'Beautiful girls... all over the world...' at all in 2010, whether it's in your shower or in your car. That alone, should be a reason why this song is one of my top 10 songs of the year.



4. Vanilla Twilight - Owl City
What can I say about this song? The music of this song is pure heavenly. When I listen to this song, I picture myself lying on a grassy hill, under the night sky, with stars and meteors above me. All these came from Owl City, a one-man band.



3. Dynamite - Taio Cruz
Just when we thought we heard the best from Taio Cruz (Break Your Heart), he gave us 'Dynamite'. THE dance song of the year in my opinion. And the radio plays it like crazy. Is this the Taio Cruz year?



2. Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) - Shakira feat. Freshlyground
This happens to be the only female song on my list. I'm not sexist but really only this female song caught my ears during the year. After 2006's 'Hips Don't Lie', Shakira came out with yet another hit for the World Cup. This song is synonymous with football. Whenever this song is played, it brings people to the football mode.


And now on to my favourite hit of the year~
1. Wavin' Flag (Non World Cup version) - K'naan feat. will.i.am and David Guetta
Guess lots of people heard the World Cup version. But I'm talking about another version. This version has nothing to do with football. It is yet another 'Matisyahu One Day' style song, about freedom, power, and peace. David Guetta and will.i.am added lots of 'star power' to this version of the song. I love the mood and tone of this song. Don't know why, my favourite part of this song, as weird as it may sound, is the part where it goes: Oooooooooohhh... oooooooooohhh... wooooooooooaaahhh... wooooooooooaaahhh... Okay, if you listen then you'll know which part I'm talking about.



Note: This is a list of my personal favourite songs of 2010, just for my memory, not any kind of 'public voted list'. Anyway, hoped you enjoyed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment